Monday, July 6, 2020

Dust Bunny Hunting Season Opens Today


Dec & Dust! DONE! 

Having trouble managing the house and work when you are working from home?  I am very productive either place, but when I am at the office I do artwork, studio work, help with orders if needed, organize, make phone calls, videos, etc - it is all about Quiltsmart.  When I am home, I find it difficult to not put in that load of laundry, or go on a dust bunny hunt, prep that chicken for dinner, make the bed, and on and on, and still work.

I'd fix the curtain rings up high that have come undone (note to self, will need ladder), sit outside in the sunshine, organize that closet, paint that dresser - because, of course, my time is open and I can mix work and household things...not to mention a quick bike ride, walk....  hmmm it is a beautiful day! And then the end of the day comes, and I better get some work done, so I work at night, 

weekends, early mornings, and during the day, and it all blends together like a delicious smoothie - did I eat breakfast?

Paint that dresser.  DONE!

The duster is right there - I see it in my peripheral vision.  I put it out to remind me to use it. It would be nice to put out the summer quilts (Baskets Around, MountainTops, Dahlia - shown is the Little Dahlia Variation) before fall, and I could do that simultaneously.  Maybe pull something to thaw from the fridge.  I could get under the refrigerator at the same time.  Cutting out that table runner, and quilting that top would open up my dining table to be actually used for dining - if not a cutting board and a mat. 

I grab the weapon of choice - the duster mop -  and leave the computer.  BUT - I do one thing (this is NEW to me - since yesterday, so I don't know if it will stick) to get me back on track.  I ask Alexa (my digital personal assistant) to set a timer for 1 hour for "Mattie, get back to work".  You can now name the timers - this is great because otherwise if you set a bunch, she just beeps all day and you can easily forget why.  I'm sure I'll get back to the artwork at that time... I LOVE doing the artwork....but, I get distracted, too.

Make bed...DONE!

I'm now officially on the hunt.  I've fixed the curtains - there were bunnies up there...can you believe it, didn't know they could climb - (maybe they unhooked the curtain rings), made the bed, pulled out some quilts and got some bunnies in that closet, caught a few of those little dust bunnies in the dining room, and got the chicken out.

I am just passing the computer, heading to the under the bed sanctuary for the little buggers ... onward....when....the blue light flashes ...  It's Alexa.  That was quick, I think with a hint of dissappointment.

Alexa says, "Mattie, get back to work."  I thought, "really? - what have I been doing, Alexa"....but, instead...
Quilting... not done.

I say, "Alexa, thanks! - You do such a good job!"

She replies, "That's nice of you to say."

Whew, that all feels good!  Back to the computer.  All in all, I am quite pleased - I got my season limit of dust bunnies. No license required.




No comments:

Post a Comment