Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Face Mask Mania - having trouble keeping up?

“Will you make me a mask?   I’ll actually need 2, and some for the kids. And, some for the neighbors, and the dentist office.   One could be in super light pink with a little tiny embroidery over the left ear.  Another could be flowers, not too big, but not too small.  One medium gray, no two, no three, not too dark, but not too light.  Should the dog have one - I heard they could get Covid19?  What about the microwave - I heard they should not go in the microwave?"  We want to say Yes, Yes, and Yes to the requests as we want to please, and we want to answer all the questions, but we don't know all the answers either.  Pretty soon you aren’t sure who you sent one to and who still needs some.  To make matters more complicated, there is a lot of mis-information out there about the masks.  I will try to answer those in the blogs and videos as much as I can.  Our mask pattern is based on our local hospital's design.  There are a lot of variations in ties that can be done.  So, that makes for complications, too!  The tips below helped me get organized and made for a much happier (and neater) sewing experience.

THANK YOU for SEWING MASKS for all your LOVED ONES!

I’ll share here and take it for what it is, but it sure helped me out!

First, I dedicated a bag for each family group or friend and put their name on it. 
The bags would be a great place to write notes as to what colors or types of ties were wanted.









Second, I started cutting the mask cotton lining apart with a rotary cutter (you could use a scissors).  Face Mask Panel
Each panel makes 8 mask linings.
I cut “a bunch”.  Depending on your numbers, you might want the Face Mask Bolt
The Bolt makes 80 (10 panels).

There is a how-to video at each of the above links.
Third, I put all suitable (at least 7.5” x 9”) fabrics into one bin. 

Fourth, I took one lining and placed it on the fabric.  I cut out the fabric using the mask lining as a guide.  I did not use a ruler or try to hard to cut straight, but I did use the rotary cutter and a mat.  I pinned the two together and put it in the bag of the person who I thought would like that fabric.  You can have fun here fussy-cutting some of the fabrics as I did in this Marvel Comics (TM).  The fabric design will generally show through the white cotton lining, so it is easy to see what you are doing.  Be Careful what goes along the nose line - that might not be where you want to cut off heads of of superhero’s.  Put the appropriate amount of twill, bias tape, elastic, ribbon elastic, shoe strings, or whatever type ties I was using.

Fifth, I opened the bags in any order and calmly pressed the pleats in using the lines on the Face Mask Lining Pattern.  At this point, the masks are made in different ways depending on the variation you choose.  But, after I finish them.... (I’m not done yet.) I plan to take a pic of the bag with the name and the masks, then back in the bag they will go and in an envelope to the Post Office.  

Don't put your masks in the microwave to sterilize them or for any other reason!  And, if there is metal nose-piece, or the earlobe ties are made of a fabric that will melt!  Yikes!  Just wash them in the wash and press again if you want them pressed nice.  The dog should not need a mask - as far as we are told to date!  Be careful if someone touches your pet - that is one way the virus can be passed on according to sources on the news (my disclaimer).

Happy mask making!  If you have any tips for organizing yours....let us know!  We would love to hear!

Play it Safe...
Mattie


No comments:

Post a Comment