Friday, March 22, 2024

Step into Spring with Quiltsmart Inspired Jeans!

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was poking around in Pinterest and was inspired by the hundreds of jeans that were embellished with quilted blocks.  I happened to have a few of those!!!

So, I decided to fancy-up my jeans!  The knee of my favorite pair got ink on them, so they were perfect for this project!


It is very EASY, but here are some tips!

After the TIPS, is a tutorial for using typical shapes, like hearts & flowers.

For Dresden Plate and Double Wedding Ring, watch the videos at quiltsmart.com.  Both of those patterns - and MORE! - are available in Packs, Instructions Only, and interfacing by the panel.

 

TIPS for Quiltsmart Inspired Jeans!

GATHER & PLAY:  Gather up your jeans (old or not) and place your shapes on them...move them around until you are happy.  Take pics of different layouts.  The pics are great to tell if you like one layout or another. Think outside the box!  Maybe you want a shape inside the pocket, just for you to generate a little smile! Julie cuffed her jeans so the shape shows on the cuff.  I put one at the bottom of the pant leg so when cuffed it peaks out from the cuff. Consider adding beads and embroidery!  And, buttons.  Oh, so much fun!

PIN & TRY ON:  Amazing what you learn here!  I moved the double wedding ring piece on the back pocket so it wasn't pointing to my bottom.  In the picture, the jeans are folded over so you can see the back pocket with the double wedding ring arc.

CUT BLOCKS: I didn't want the whole Dresden Plate as I am short and it covered the whole leg from knee down.  So, I cut it in half.  I know, a little "ouch" there - but I was going for the greater good as it has sat in my "to do" box far too long. I would suggest to pin & try on before you cut the blocks.  Or, maybe you are sure that you want to cut a block in half or quarters and use it in a variety of places on the jeans. The other half of the Dresden Plate is on my design wall, waiting for another inspiration.

OPEN SEAMS & REMOVE POCKETS:  Seams on jeans can be double-stitched.  Those are a little tough to open up, but can be done.  Watch a good movie. I try to work with the seam that is not double-stitched (usually there is one) as in the Dresden Plate above.  I partially removed some stitches on the pocket to accommodate the double wedding ring arc - I did not remove the whole pocket.  If you have a tight spot for machine sewing, you could hand-sew making sure that you do a nice short stitch so it will hold up while wearing and washing.

APPLIQUE (french word for "to apply"): Zigzag the shapes on the jeans. Or, use a decorative stitch as in the heart above.

RESTITCH:  Restitch the jean seams, using jean thread for any top-stitching.  Jean thread is the color of the gold/yellowish thread that is common in jeans.  It is a subtle finishing technique, but nice.

WEAR & STEP OUT!


In general (more info and videos at quiltsmart.com), to make the appliques:

Cut out the shapes.  Leave a generous amount outside of the shape as it will be trimmed later.

Slit the center.  

Place the interfacing rough side to right side of fabric.  

Stitch on the SOLID line.

 

 

Trim on the DASHED line.

 




 

Turn, using a pointer-creaser to gently push out any points and to round curves.



 




Fuse to your project.  Use a pressing sheet!

Zigzag around the shape.  Note the fussy-cut on the heart shape in the picture.  "Awesome" is subtle, but nice!

Now.... drum roll ... STEP OUT & ENJOY your Quiltsmart Inspired Jeans!

Love you,

Mattie

No comments:

Post a Comment